The end of the calendar year is a time when many people make charitable gifts and take advantage of the tax benefits for doing so. A gift before December 31st can benefit you by reducing your income taxes while providing meaningful support for the University.
Members of the University's development staff will be in the office during the holidays to answer questions about making a gift before 2012 closes.
Choose one of these convenient options:
- Go to http://giving.unr.edu/yearendgifts.aspx to make a pledge, gift, or to pay an existing pledge online
- To complete your transaction by phone, please call (775) 784-1352 or (775) 784-1587
- To deliver your gift, please visit the Morrill Hall Alumni Center (Center Street entrance to campus)
- To mail your gift, please send a check to: University of Nevada, Reno Foundation, Mail Stop 0162, Reno, NV 89557
End of year timing for the receipt of all gifts and pledges
- Gifts must be received by Monday,12/31/12.
- To be counted in the calendar 2012 year figures, gifts must be postmarked by Monday,12/31/12 and in received by Foundation Accounting Office staff by 4:30pm PST on Tuesday, 1/8/13.
Electronic Transfer/Federal Wire:
- All electronic transfers of funds should be in the University of Nevada, Reno Foundation bank account before the close of the banking day at 2:00pm PST on Monday, 12/31/12.
Credit Card Payments:
- If faxed, received in U.S. mail, hand-delivered, or phoned in, gifts must be received by the Foundation Accounting Office staff by 1:00pm PST on Monday, 12/31/12.
- Web gifts (http://giving.unr.edu) must be completed by 11:59pm PST on Monday, 12/31/12.
Stocks & Other Securities:
- Physical hand deliveries must be received by the Foundation Accounting Office staff by 4:30pm PST on Monday, 12/31/12.
- Securities must be in the University of Nevada, Reno Foundation account before the close of business on Monday, 12/31/12. Donors should be careful to give their brokers time to complete the transaction. This usually requires a minimum of 3 business days, but may take longer if volumes are high. The donor should be sure to notify the Foundation of their intention to deliver securities so that the donation may be identified and recorded in a timely manner. Failure to notify the Foundation may result in the exclusion of the gift from month-end totals.
- Securities sent to Foundation by private carrier (i.e., Federal Express, UPS, etc.) must be received in Foundation Accounting Office staff by 4:30pm PST on Monday 12/31/12.
- Review USPS delivery expectations regarding 1st class mail, etc.
- If entered on the web (http://giving.unr.edu), pledges must be completed by 11:59pm PST on Monday, 12/31/12.
- If received by mail, pledges must be postmarked by 12/31/12 and received by the Foundation Accounting Office staff by 4:30pm PST on Tuesday, 1/8/13.
- If hand delivered, pledges must be dated on or before Monday, 12/31/12 and delivered to Foundation Accounting Office staff by 4:30pm PST on Tuesday, 1/8/13.
- Gift receipts will be sent within 7-10 days from the date the gift was processed, except in times of high volume where longer processing time occurs. Receipts will reflect the date the gift was processed and will not imply the date the gift was made. Donors should consult with their CPA or tax preparer to determine the tax consequences of their donation.
If you have any questions regarding these guidelines please contact Laurie McLanahan or Tammy Koszuth at (775) 784-1587.